Tuesday, October 02, 2007

October is national popcorn month

Interesting trivia:

• Compared to most snack foods, popcorn is low in calories. Air-popped popcorn has only 31 calories per cup. Oil-popped is only 55 per cup.



• Popcorn is a type of maize (or corn), a member of the grass family, and is scientifically known as Zea mays everta.

• Popcorn is a whole grain. It is made up of three components: the germ, endosperm, and pericarp (also know as the hull).

• Popcorn needs between 13.5-14% moisture to pop.

• Most U.S. popcorn is grown in the Midwest, primarily in Indiana, Nebraska, Ohio, Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky and Missouri.



• The peak period for popcorn sales for home consumption is in the fall.

• Popping popcorn is one of the number one uses for microwave ovens. Most microwave ovens have a “popcorn” control button.

• How high popcorn kernels can pop? Up to 3 feet in the air.

...and.....

• A-MAIZing is a yarn that is 100% corn. Check it out here.

P.S. I have been knitting. Hopefully I'll have something finished that I can blog about!

2 comments:

Janet said...

I love popcorn! My hubby says it was one of my main food groups....but I can't eat it anymore. My tummy no longer likes it. :-(

Anonymous said...

A-MAIZing yarn is so soft. I like knitting with it.