Saturday, June 16, 2007

Dear Daddy

Dear Daddy,

I had you in my life so briefly (only 7 years). I treasure the few memories of you that I have.

I remember you taking me shopping for my birthday. You bought a little princess dress-up table for me. I had it for most of my childhood and thought of you each time I looked into that little mirror.

I remember Sunday afternoon drives with you and Mom. We would take cans of vienna sausages and crackers for a picnic. And one time, you let me sit in your lap and "drive" even when Mom was very vocal with her concerns about it.

I remember you sitting at my bedside and playing the vinyl record of Jim Reeves singing "We Thank Thee." You sang along but I can't remember your voice. Whenever I hear a Jim Reeves song, I think of you.



I remember the time that my sister Doris took the garbage out after dinner, and came running back into the house swearing a panther was in a tree in the back yard. You went to check and found nothing. And while I don't remember the sound of your voice, I do remember your laughing face as you teased her about it.

And I remember running to you from the house while you kneeled on the ground next to the car with open arms.

The last memory I have of you is saying good bye at the hospital the day you died. I wished I had told you then how much I love you and would miss knowing you as I grew up. But 7 years old was too young to fully understand the importance of saying good bye.

I wish I could remember your singing voice or guitar playing. I know you were a very talented muscian and played with Jim Reeves.



I wish I could remember hearing you say "I love you" and the feel of your arms around me.

And since I don't remember ever saying "Happy Father's Day" and thank you for my life, I want to say it here....in hopes that there is some kind of magic that will send this wish and my love across the barrier between life and the spirit world.

Daddy, I love you,

Kathy, your baby girl

1 comment:

Janet said...

I have tears in my eyes after reading this. I'm sure he knew you loved him, and I believe your message got through too.

He looks like a wonderful man. It's so sad that you only had him for such a short time.