Thursday, August 23, 2007

In the news

This Yahoo! article caught my eye yesterday - One in four read no books last year. There are actually people that do not read!??!!? How can anyone resist the call of a new adventure while sitting in a comfortable chair? Or the enjoyment of family time spent reading out loud?

I believe that books are food for the soul. So it surprises me that there are people who do not appreciate the rise in heart rate when entering a book store or library. My house is filled with bookshelves and everyone has at least one book they are in the process of reading. And a Christmas wish list from any of us will always include books.

Some of my favorite reads (other then Harry Potter series):
Dean Koontz is read by the entire family so we purchase his books sight unseen, as a new hardback. Odd Thomas is my favorite character. If you enjoy paranormal/suspense type story lines, I highly recommend this series.

During the twice-a-year Friends of the Library book sale, I always look for a book by an author I've never read before. It's an inexpensive gamble. At the sale this past March, I picked up "A Woman's Place" by Barbara Delinsky. It was OK...not great, not terrible...but good enough to try another title by the same author. So I checked out "Three Wishes" from the library.



I love this one! It's a little romantic (yeah, mush) with a little paranormal, and very uplifting (spiritual). I'll definitely be reading more by this author.

Then there is historical fiction. I fell in love with the writings of Gwen Bristow in high school. Celia Garth and Calico Palace....it just doesn't get much better then those two. Of course I read Lonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry. Epic novel! (And yes, the mini-series was good too.)

Obviously these are just a few of my favorites but there are so many other possibilities. So why do people not read? I don't get it.

Just turn off the boob tube, open a book, and let your imagination loose!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Reading a book is the closest I get to going to a different land. I used to read about 200 books/novels a year but now that I have kiddos and other obligations, my reading has diminished considerably.

Since I like to knit, I have found it a bit difficult to read and knit at the same time. However, I became an audible.com subscriber and now I can listen to my books while I knit--the best of both worlds ;).

Hootin Anni said...

Hi! I just dropped by to let you know that your blog has been added to the "Over 50 Bloggers" blogroll. You may have to refresh your browser page for it to show on your sidebar.

I'm happy to meet you, and I hope that with this blogroll you'll find some new friendships along the way!!

Welcome.

Anonymous said...

Lonesome Dove is a very entertaining story. It surprised me that I enjoyed it so much since I really do not care for western novels.

Janet said...

I saw these same statistics and was stunned! I cannot imagine a day without reading. It's always the last thing I do at night, and I have so many books in my house that I shudder to think of the day we move!