Monday, April 30, 2007

Loom knitting hooks

I'm very protective of this particular hook....



...as it's the only one I have. It's the first style of hook that Provo Craft included with the the Knifty Knitter looms. The handle is smooth making it a nice grip, and the hook is sturdy. (I have no idea what the long needle on the other end is suppose to be used for.)

Then Provo changed the hook to this style.



I really dislike these! The plastic of the handle has a rough texture and is spongey so that there isn't a firm grip. My hands sometimes hurt when using this hook because of that. Also it's a crap shoot whether you will get a hook that has thin metal which bends, or if the hook will have a very pointy tip that can leave deep stratches in the loom pegs. My suggestion is to look at the tip before buying it.

Recently I found this hook on ebay.



I bought one and I love it! It appears to be an altered dental pick of sorts encased in a rubber tubing (hubby thinks it's a surgical tubing). The grip is firm and the texture is smooth which makes it easy on the hands.

Do you have a preference of hooks?

No comments: