Sunday, June 25, 2006

Knitting Muse going on vacation


This will probably be the last blog entry for awhile as we're packing up the motorhome for a trip.





So what does a Knitting Muse pack? First thoughts are of projects, of course.

The knitting bag has UFO's....doggy sweaters on the loom and the camisole that was lovingly started, then cast aside when life got crazy.

I will definitely get to finish these as I sit in my co-pilot's seat and offer support as a "back seat driver." hehe








And, of course, the extra supply bin has the current beading project and the "I hope I get to start this" project supplies.

I use to try and work on a bead project while cruising down the road. This hummingbird was done during a trip a couple of years ago.
But after spending too much time chasing the beads around the little lap table I used, I've given up on beading while the RV is in motion. Knitting works just fine.

The other necessities for me include books. Yes, references....but also the current novel I'm reading and the next book I want to read too!

I know...I know....it looks like I'm packing too much (it always does). But I really need to have my "pleasures" with me (did someone mention chocolate?). They are very needed as it's just been too darn stressful lately.

Speaking of stressful....at 2:30 am, I woke up to the smell of smoke and the phone ringing. Yeah, fire. My neighbor called to let me know about the fire right outside (and inside) of Angeles Forest. That's the price of living in this area...in the mountains, having trees....wildfires. So hubby and I stood outside in our PJ's from 2:30 am to 4:00 am because it's not easy to sleep when you can see the flames from your windows...especially when they cover the entire mountain. We didn't know how fast it was moving nor in which direction...but the wind was blowing our way. And, of course, news bulletins at 3 am are hard to come by!

It's a scary feeling to watch a wildfire. We were among those evacuated two years ago during the Acton (Crown) fire. We stayed with friends in the valley. From their yard, we would look up into the mountains watching the plumes of black smoke and wonder if that was our house. For 3 long days, we couldn't come home. The same fears crept back into my mind in the wee hours of this morning as I watched the flames.

Luckily, the winds weren't gusting. The fantastic forestry department and firefighters were able to bring it under control. I didn't think to snap pictures when the flames were big...but this is the aftermath. The entire mountain in this picture was on fire when we first saw it. When this picture was taken this morning, only a few areas were still smoldering and the helicopters were making drops to put these areas out. Of course, air quality here stinks....literally....like campfires.

I really need this vacation.

1 comment:

Janet said...

Have a safe, fun trip. Looks as if you have plenty to keep you busy. The hummingbird is gorgeous.

Wow...I hadn't heard about the fire! Glad everything is ok for you.